Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Well, no one really reads this anymore, but oh well. I guess it's good practice for my non-fiction hopes. I do think that eventually I can compile and edit this stuff into some funny blurb type book maybe. Minus my pointless introductions, of course. Ok here we go. Got this idea last night. Heh.

_____________________________________________________________________

Good morning class. Today we're going to learn about metaphors. So let's try an experiment. I'll tell you about a commercial I saw yesterday, and when I'm done, you hold onto the first thing that comes to your mind. I'm going to cut off the conclusion of the commercial so that you can formulate what should naturally follow based on the metaphor used.

Ok?
Ready?
Here we go.

It went something like this:

A man dressed rather formally comes onto the screen.
He says, "Just looking at the outside of a strawberry doesn't tell you much. It's limited. You know that it's a fruit, and that it's red but that's about it. But when you bite into it, it's a whole different story. There's a range ofjuicy flavor and experience that you'd never know by just looking at the outside. It's kind of like that when you have a new baby. You think you know what it's like from the outside, but when you actually ___________________, it's a completely different story.








Now, come on. The above is a paraphrase for sure, but it was pretty close. You can't even TELL me that you didn't think that would finish with "when you actually bite into the baby, and experience their unique juicy flavor...".

The way you begin a metaphor, the language you use to set it up makes a big difference. When the guy said the phrase "bite into it" and then immediately started talking about having a baby, it made certain connections in my mind.

Maybe I'm just crazy and like to screw up other people's imagery. But all I know is thatcomparing eating strawberries to having a baby doesn't amtch up too well and just isn't that effective.

But comparing eating strawberries to eating babies... now that is no tonly hilarious but a well matched metaphor. And it's hilarious. And isn't that what life is all about?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmmm... babies... lol keep up the good work Mitch!

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home