Sunday, September 03, 2006

Bleak Universe

Part II

(later)

RICK: ... and that's why you're a pointless, stupid, infantile bastard.
OSCAR: I'm sorry, did you say something?

ST: Um Ok, good. Well we've been going a hwile now, so I guess we can take a break there and... cool off. I have to say, after all the introductions taking over an hour, I didn't think we'd have any time to actually get anywhere.

RICK: We're in prison. And this is all obviously HIS fault (points to Oscar).

OSCAR: Yeah whatever. I wasn't the one who shouted "I'd watch thy step, constable, for the arcane magics of the hinterworld shall bring about thy downfall!" when a cop came up to us and asked us what we were doing, that was real smart. Especailly since you're still human, dumbass.

RICK: SHut up. You're the one who squired him with a flower when he walked around the corner we were hiding behind, ass. You know, I've never liked you, or anything about you. And if you keep pushing me, someday i'm going to SNAP (He snaps fingers once. He gives oscar a giant grin, then...)
RICK: I'm going to the lavatory facilities.(leaves)

KELLY: Hey, come onnnn! Stop fighting you guys.
AARON: Wow. WEll, that was awkward. So...I'm getting a soda.(leaves)

(after a minute)

OSCAR: I wish i had a trick flower in real life for moments like those. I should go get one.

ST: Maybe you should lay off him, just a little, you know. For a change in pace.
OSCAR: I have no idea what you're talking about.

(few more minutes go by, everyone re-enters)

______________________________________________________________________________________


Ill finish this one with an edit later. Heh it occurs to me that some people may pick up that i based these characters on people. Heh. DOnt worry, ill have ST do some dumb things too. ALso, i very highly exagerated all the characters, and am slowly changing them away from their roots, so to speak. So if you think you've figured it out, take it as a compliment if anything, you made the games interesting :) Hehe. Besides, like i said,a ll the cahracters are super hyperbolic (way over the top) they are really nothing like their bases. If i did have a base, it was just to make it easier to begin somewhere. **Disclaimer ended** Yeah, so i'll come back and finish this one in edits laters.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha! Good stuff Mitch, I like it. Andrew, Joe, and Rich are the easiest stereotypes to use, but I hope you put more in later. For instance: the oddball with the strangest character ideas imaginable (which are also all gay, somehow), the exasperated de-facto babysitter who tries unsuccessfully to keep the others from getting into trouble, the show-off with excessively clever plans, the delighter in derangements who's never heard of a Virtue, and of course the guy with a fast car and machine guns. And don't forget the storyteller, pockets stuffed to bursting with deux ex machinas, who tries in vain to impart a sense of meaning and literary significance to an otherwise rock-em sock-em roleplaying game. All in good fun, of course. I look forward to future adventures, and illustrations as well if they are indeed coming.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, General Impressions: It's enormously funny to me, but I of course get all the inside jokes involved. You should exhort some of your non-roleplaying acquaintances to read and see what they think for a more objective standpoint. Besides that, I'd like to see some more description of what the players are doing, in addition to what they say. Mannerisms, fidgets, expressions, etc., so as better to describe the scene of the roleplaying environment. I don't mean in the game, I mean what happens around the table. Like what you have in parentheses in Part II. Write it as if you were writing for a comic strip (a strip that I'd very much like to see, maybe Andrew can do it if he doesn't mind making fun of himself, or Liz in exchange for not being lambasted in the comic, hehehe). In any case, the humor is insightful and well-balanced enough to be hilarious without being too offensive to the individuals concerned. I'll be emailing the link off to my brother for further comment. Bravo!

~ Nick

6:59 PM  
Blogger Mitch said...

Thanks man. I'm adding myself in next time as a show of good faith. Haha. Because i mean really, color is what makes things interesting in stories such as these. And besides, we all sometimes do a bit of these things ourselves anyway.

I mean, who hasn't half made a character after some movie they saw? Or gotten really dramatic over something. WE all do a bit of everything, its just some of us have natural tendencies towards one eccentricity over another.My hope is to move the stereotypes slowly away from the people you might reckognize. Heh i mean no offense, i just needed your help to get things rolling.

Actually you have some not bad ideas in there. I hope eventually i get a bit away from the stereotypes and add some new weird combinations. Lol i just hope people dont get offended, I'm mostly just messing around. If you look close enough the "story teller" has already done some less than laudable things. We all act weird sometimes, lets celebrate our oddities. Haha.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Mitch said...

Thanks fo ryour comments by the way, they're helpful. I'm actually starting with "problem character" archetypes from the book. So far you've seen parts of "X-factor" "cardboard cut out" and "rules lawyer" i may add another character named kyle, who will be sort of a combo of me and paul, and then youll see "the prodigy" and "the star". I might give Rick "loremaster" as well. They're just fun to try out. I'm already starting to mvoe away from that one dimensional character construction though. Jsut to demonstrate, you actally got one of the characters wrong for who they're based on. It's no big eal though. From her on out, the characters are themselves, and not really expressions of anyone. For example, I made Rick far more "intelectually smarmy" then anyone we know. That trend should continue. It can be fun to look for similarities in characters, but don't be glued to that idea. Kelly isn't really based on anyone, for example. I'm prolly going to make Oscar more underhanded than who he is based on, etc. The cahracters march away from their birth! Though, they do thank you all for your contributions hehe. (including me. lol. failed storyteller creations are the worst. ich.)

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, so you're using problem character archetypes as a supplement. That's a great idea for moving beyond the initial models for the characters. Even so, I still suggest you adapt some of what we've actually done in the past, i.e. gay seductions, helicopter rescues, metal fence kicking, uncontrollable bursts of highly emotional PvP, etc. There's a lot of material there. Oh, and don't forget the bad guy getting sucked into a giant air vent before anyone can question him. By the way, I especially enjoyed the window kick in the 2nd part of Part II; a very "Rick" thing to do, lol.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home