Tuesday, December 02, 2008

OK. Time to see if I can be funny on command again, sine it's Wednesday. Maybe if i keep the Wednesday deadline enough times my 3 readers will remember too. heh.

***

I was just listening to the song "Human" by the Killers. It's actually really cool, and I like it, despite the controversy.

It has a line in it that reads 'Are we Human/Or are we Dancer?"

I think it works as a song because the feeling of the song is brought across through the music as much as the words, so that I didn't even notice how goddamned insane that sounds until like the fifth go round.

I guess the idea was supposed to be that 'Dancer' is supposed to replace 'Human' as a race. And this idea came from something Hunter Thompson said in an article in the Rolling Stones at some point in the past, about how Americans are now 'dancers', i.e., they follow the footsteps of others rather than innovating their own.

The rest of the song goes on to talk about this idea quite well, but that one line...

I mean, seriously? You don't want to give us any hints at all?

Inaccessible art is masturbation.

You can dance to it in your room if you really want(ironical!), but don't try getting away with random references that no one has any chance of getting.

Unless you're prepared to knock on the door of everyone in the world who listens to your music, and explain it to them.

In that case, I'm all for it.

I'll be the one sitting in front of the door-
With the hammer.

Although, I just know that somewhere some hardcore nerds are giggling through their noses while listening to the song and saying like "Hunter Thompson reference! High five!"

And then they high five their cat or something.

In closing, a song lyric idea-

"If you don't account for the cost,
Just like the *Minnow..."

*-"The Minnow" refers to the boat in Gilligan's Island, which of course has the lyric in the theme song which goes "the Minnow will be lost" As anyone with a fistful of encylopedias(tm) you obviously insert "The just like the Minnow, you'll be lost" into the song.

Really. I have to spend all my time explaining the obvious.

(If you are shouting 'WEAK!', while poised over the computer screen with a sledgehammer at this point, then I feel your pain, brother.)

***

Eh, not my best. But still fun.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

That may be the worst song of 2008. This coming from someone who (at one point) loved the Killers.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Mitch said...

I actually still kind of like it. It's just that line is kind of grating and weird. I like the people who thought the line read "Are we human, or are we denser?"

Haha Super dense humans.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with masturbation, again? I happen to like inaccessible art, as long as it's mine.

My status updates on Facebook are often inaccessible art, and the fact remains that anyone who figures them out will receive a cookie.

However, I sympathize with misunderstanding song lyrics. I once thought Bob Marley was talking about a "little town in Syria". Translation: "little darling, stir it up".

4:32 PM  
Blogger Mitch said...

Haha. Masturbation=great.
Masturbation in public=less great.

Haha thats the whole point. Inaccessible to other people. That would be like if i told you an inside joke and didnt explain it, and then spent the next 10 mintues laughing my ass off.

Haha a little town in syria? awesome.

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah but Mitch, that's the true meaning of Rick-rolling. Inside jokes are never explained; they're transmitted through experience. Just like Zen Buddhism.

And yeah, I seriously thought it was "little town in Syria". That's what happens when a Pastafarian meets a Rastafarian.

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way Mitch, check this out:

http://tinyurl.com/2qxjnb

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home